The Walvis Bay Kid’s Haven children’s home was established in May 2009 and aims at assisting abused, vulnerable and neglected children by providing a save home for them until they reach adulthood.
The Children’s home also provides a Babyline for mothers that do not want their babies and offers such mothers assistance in an attempt to prevent baby dumping. This is the only Babyline facility in the entire Erongo Region.
The Walvis Bay Kid’s Havens’ goals include:
- To provide a permanent, stable, safe, nurturing, caring, loving and family home environment for children to grow up in.
- Address and effectively reduce the added trauma of children feeling displaced as a result of being relocated several times.
- Ensure that children have a stable continued access to education and school.
- Restore self-worth and dignity of children, as well as to encourage healthy social interaction as part of the healing process.
- Act as support and compliment the Social Services’ placement process of children in need of a safe and protected environment.
- Ensure that the centre is financially self-sustaining.
The Walvis Bay Kid’s Haven relies solely on the private sector and community for financial support and any funding goes towards, Transport, food, School Fees (there are currently 21 scholars carried by the Children’s’ home), Staff Salaries, Maintenance of property, Medical costs, clothes, etc
More information on the Walvis Bay Kids Haven can be found at: http://www.promiseland.com.na/fostercare.php